Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Monday, July 23, 2007

Recipes that changed my pantry: Seasoned Salt

No, I am not going to suggest that you run out to the supermarket and buy seasoned salt. I am going to suggest that you make your own! If you have made Nebraska Homestyle Dressing or the breadcrumb coating mix, you should already have on hand the ingredients for this seasoned salt blend. If you haven't, and don't have the ingredients on hand, I suggest you buy the Lowry's Seasoned salt or a cheaper generic version. I don't suggest you run out and buy the ingredients for this recipe just to make seasoned salt! My son loves this stuff, and so do I. A small jar of it lives in my desk drawer at work.



SEASONED SALT

1/2 cup salt
1 tablespoon celery salt -- or celery seed
1 tablespoon garlic salt -- or garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)


Place all ingredients in blender container. Cover and blend on high speed 20 seconds. Store in tightly covered container.


YIELD: 3/4 cup

SOURCE: Betty Crocker's Cookbook Copyright: 1978

NOTES : I keep this on the table and add it to most of my savory foods. It is a good MSG-free substitute for the commonly available seasoned salts. I almost always opt for the celery seed and garlic powder over the salts. It already has enough salt! Great on popcorn. The last batch I made with cayenne has just enough bite to let you know it is there. I would not add more than 1/2 teaspoon without calling it something different! The cayenne is my own addition. Betty Crocker had nothing to do with it!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home