Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Recipes that changed my pantry: bread crumbs

It has been a while since I posted one of these. This is from one of my favorite cookbooks: More With Less We were introduced to this cookbook when we lived in Kenya. It has very few convenience foods listed, and even has recipes for thick white sauce to replace the canned soups called for in many recipes. Alas, I usually still use the canned soup! I have not yet gotten there, I guess.

I used to make my own bread crumbs for this dish. I still could, I guess, but I think I am holding out for a food processor to make the job easier! I usually at least double this recipe.

COATING MIX FOR OVEN-FRIED CHICKEN

2 cups dry bread crumbs
1 1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t paprika
1 t celery salt -- or celery seed
1 t onion salt -- or onion powder
1/4 t pepper
1 t poultry seasoning -- optional
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Blend ingredients with fork or pastry blender until well mixed. Keeps unrefrigerated in tightly covered container.

When ready to use, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Put 1/2 cup coating mix in plastic or paper bag. Moisten chicken pieces with water or milk and shake one piece at a time in bag. Add more mix as needed. Lay chicken skin-side up in greased pan and bake 1 hour or until tender. No turning needed.

Option: use for fish fillets. Bake 30 minutes

Description: "Like a well-known brand of bread-crumb coating mix for chicken"
YIELD: 2 1/3 cups
SOURCE: More-with-Less Cookbook, ed. Doris Janzen Longacre Copyright 1976, Herald Press, Scottdale, PA"
Recipe By Grace Anders, Souderton, PA

Serving Ideas : Bake potatoes along side the chicken.

NOTES I usually use the onion powder rather than the onion salt. If I use the celery seed, I try to grind the spices and herbs in the blender before adding the salt and bread crumbs. I usually use more pepper as my husband likes it that way. This works very well on skinless chicken, and I find that the pan doesn't really need to be greased. Maybe a quick squirt with non-stick spray.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home