Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Friday, August 03, 2007

The Red Scarf Project

Some of you know that I knit and crochet. Knitters and Crocheters are known as very giving people (okay, so that may be a gross generalization, but work with me here!). Knitters and crocheters are often working on charity projects for those who may be less fortunate and need a little extra warmth.

There is a charity that has caught my attention called The Red Scarf Project. In short, scarves are made and donated the the Orphan Foundation of America, and they are sent to foster children who have "aged out" of foster care and are now in college. There are other ways to support the Orphan Foundation, and you can find them via their home page. If, however, you would like to donate as a knitter or crocheter, you might consider reading about a new fund set up just for us, and told about by Now Norma Knits, another blogger who has taken on this project as her own. I even contributed a simple pattern to her via her comments:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a suggestion for a crochet pattern, and you can see an example on my blog:
http://ruthsmusings.blogspot.com/2007/05/crochet-extravaganza.html


Chain desired length for the scarf.
Row 1: SC in the back ridge of second chain and in each chain back, ch 1, turn.
Row 2: SC in back loop of each sc.
Repeat row 2 to desired width of scarf.
To make as pictured, change colors every two rows of sc. If desired, you may slip stitch in each sc of the last row to make it look like the first stripe, which is a bit wider due to the foundation chain.
I used Caron Simply Soft, holding two strands together and using an "N" hook (I think). It took me two evenings. I incorporated the loose ends from the stripes into the fringe.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyway, Norma has a button where you can contribute to the OFA via PayPal. I am not even going to attempt to post a button on my blog for a loooooooong time, so please go to Norma and use her button!

Thanks.

Ruth

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home