Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A crochet extravaganza

For those of you who have absolutely no interest in crochet, aw heck, read this anyway!


I tend to crochet really practical things. For instance, here we have a bathmat. It is made from


double worsted cotton yarn from Elmore Pisgah It makes a cushy bath mat that is appreciated by the people in our house. And the cats. If you are interested in making the same thing, I used the second pattern found here: Five Textured Dishcloths It is a sturdy stitch, but also ridged. It feels really nice on bare feet.

I can't take any credit for the pattern that showed up in part of the mat, but I thought it was pretty cool. Now, if it were only in pink!
















Here we see a close-up of the bathmat, along with another one, made with the same stitch, only in worsted weight cotton yarn. Also a nice bathmat, but not quite as cushy.












Freya likes both of them, at least when they are laid out on my bed!















I have also found that if you hold two strands of yarn together and use a big hook, you can indeed make a scarf in two evenings. I made this for Matt to wear to school on the day that everybody was wearing Maroon and Orange in honor of the victims at Virginia Tech.



I am really proud of this pattern, since I developed it myself. Both the bags you see here are the same size, but the one with the twelve cans of soda in it has been stretched by the load, and the other one has yet to be used. These are the first bags that I made with the bag in one color and the handles in another. Great in the colors of Matt's school, don't you think?






Now, to get off my duff and try to sell the pattern to a publisher. It might not happen, and you may well find it here! I guess I could sell it on line myself.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger African Kelli said…

    those are fantastic Ruth! Nicely done.

     
  • At 7:48 AM, Blogger Mary said…

    Those are great! Are you able to work on anything right now? Yes I think I won't work with chenille if I have a choice. The yarn for the scarf was given to me so just tried to use it up.

     
  • At 8:58 AM, Blogger datatech57 said…

    Thanks, Mary. Yes, I am still working at my job and my crochet and knitting. I am trying to make things just for the immediate family right now, and for my yet-to-be-born grandchildren. My sons are 18 and 13, so we don't want to be in a rush!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home