Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ruth Update, September 21, 2008

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,
 
Last Tuesday, after I sent out my last update, I went to my cancer support group meeting.  After that, Paul and I went out to celebrate his birthday, which was the day before.  Since he has a thing for ABBA, and I have a thing for Pierce Brosnan, we went to see "Mama Mia" at a local mall.  The cinema is right next to the food court, so we had a fast dinner before the show.  This was a "sing along" version, where they had the lyrics at the bottom of the screen, and it was fun to sing along.  There were not enough people there to drown out the movie, so we got the best of both worlds.  As a singer, Pierce Brosnan is a fine looking man.  I would not go right out and buy the soundtrack.  Meryl Streep was really good, I thought.  Paul enjoyed the movie so much, he wants to see the stage show next time it comes to town.  Maybe they will have a better singer in the Brosnan role.  He was on pitch, anyway.  Shortly after we came home, Paul was playing his "ABBA Gold" album.  Big surprise.
 
I was unable to get my liver biopsy scheduled this week, nor my chemotherapy.  Both will start next week, with the chemo on September 29th, and the liver biopsy on September 30th.  They assured me they could do this.  It is just bad timing for me with both the hospital where the biopsy will be done, having had a couple of equipment failures, and with my HMO, which is reorganizing their chemotherapy pharmacy.  This does worry me, with the speed at which my cancer has advanced recently.  Please pray that I will be able to wait that long.  My oncologist will try to get me in earlier for chemo, but that might mess up the biopsy, since I can't have it while my blood counts are down.  As it is, we will delay starting the Avastin, as it carries risks of bleeding problems, and we don't want people poking my liver in that case.
 
A friend of mine wonders why they can't just start me on Herceptin, which is as close to a miracle drug as we have right now for breast cancer.  The trouble is, it doesn't do any good if one doesn't have the right kind of cancer.  This is why we want the liver biopsy, to see if my cancer is susceptible to Herceptin.  
 
Thanks for your support.
 
Get mammograms.  Do self-exams.
 
Love,
Ruth
 

4 Comments:

  • At 6:39 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Glad you had a good time at Mamma Mia.

    Ah yes, I am a Pierce Brosnan fan myself and no, he can't sing but he sure looks good trying.

    Hope the treatments go well.

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are in my thoughts. If I prayed, you'd be in my prayers as well...

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger Faith G said…

    Ruth, I know you're not Catholic (at least I don't think so) but would you be open to my sending you a "Catholic thing" that is especially for healing? It's called a green scapular and I give them away to people I meet who have health problems, and then pray special prayers for healing every day for those people. BUt I wouldn't want to make you uncomfortable. My email is faith.gillis@gmail.com. If you are okay with it, please send me your mailing address. I would really appreciate it.

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ruth,
    Just letting you know you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. If there is anything you need, some of the old Pimmitt group are still together and able to help.

    Carol

     

Post a Comment

<< Home