Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ruth Update, September 16, 2008

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,

"1. Fairly dramatic progression of metastatic disease to the liver. There is now involvement throughout all parts of the liver that is in many places confluent [the tumors are running together]. The burden of liver disease is greater than on any previous PET/CT study in this patient.

"2. Interval increase in activity at several sites of bony metastatic disease in the thoracic spine and pelvis. The burden of bony metastatic disease is greater than on the study dated 5-21-08, but is probably still less than on the study dated 2-9-08.

"3. No evidence of metastatic disease at any other site."

Well, #3 is good, anyway.

The plan now is to get a liver biopsy, ASAP, and follow with at least three chemo drugs: Gemzar, Carboplatin and Avastin. If the liver biopsy shows that my cancer is susceptible to Herceptin, that will be something else we can do.

My oncologist was not actually planning on the liver biopsy, but when I suggested it, she thought it a good idea.

I am not surprised at the increased activity in my liver. At the same time I learned that my cancer marker had tripled, I also saw that two elements of my liver function panel were very high out of range. Also, I have had some twinges in my liver area.

I ask for specific prayers that the new liver biopsy would get enough malignant tissue to run the tests on. That was the problem with my previous liver biopsy. I also ask for general prayers for successful treatment to knock this cancer back. Timmy is in the eighth grade. I would like to see him graduate from high school. I would also like to play with my grandchildren, if it is God's will.

Get mammograms. Do self-exams.

Love,

Ruth
http://ruthsmusings.blogspot.com

4 Comments:

  • At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ruth, we are all with you, and praying for you. I understand you are coming in tomorrow to talk to teachers. I hope I get to see you, even though I'm not one of Timmy's teachers this year.

    Cindy

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ruth,

    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    Tricia L.
    soprano671@yahoo.com

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger datatech57 said…

    Thanks so much for the prayers.

    Ruth

     
  • At 1:12 AM, Blogger Susan C said…

    Ruth, I was so surprised and sorry to read this report. Count me in as someone who will be praying for you and your family.

    Susan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home