Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Saturday, June 07, 2008

Ruth Update, June 7, 2008

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,
 
I can't believe I walked the whole thing!  Yes, indeed, I managed the whole 5K, which, I am told, is 3.1 miles.  I looked at the cut off for the one-mile route, and two members of our team were planning to take that one, but, we figured if one of our team members, who is a long-time survivor, could make it, then so could I.  We had three Ruths on our team!  One of them, with Bob, is a senior citizen, and the third is young and pretty.  Anyway, Bob and Ruth M., who were planning to cut it short, made it along with the rest of us.  Paul ran, and met us at the finish line, still upright, but his knee is a little stiff.
 
Thanks for all your support, and prayers for my poor feet!  They complained, but not above what I would expect if I weren't getting chemo!
 
One of the things they have at this event is a "Survivor's Tent," where they offer "pampering" to those of us with pink t-shirts.  I had though I might indulge, and take the shortcut to get back there, but all they had was manicures and makeovers.  Now, for a foot massage, I might have bailed.
 
The plan was to post photos today, but our camera ended up with another member of the team, who didn't realize it until after we had broken up after the race, so the photos will have to wait until next week.  And I have Condoleeza Rice on there, too!  Her mom died of breast cancer, and she spoke at the pre-race rally. 
 
I kept running into Timmy's English teacher, who is a survivor.  We didn't get much chance to talk about the boy, though.  He may actually pass English, barely.  I hope so.  I want to go to Florida this summer!
 
Get your mammograms.  Do your self exams.
 
Love,
 
Ruth
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home