Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Ruth Update, June 5, 2008

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,
 
On Tuesday, I had a treatment with Aredia, which is the bone-strengthening IV I get every four weeks.  This was one week after my Taxotere, so they did a blood test to see how my white cells are doing.  Not good at all.  The good news is I am not sick to go along with it, at the moment.  I called the HMO advice line, just to check in.  I have a tiny fever (99.5 F), but no other real symptoms.  I suppose I will get a call from the oncology triage nurse tomorrow. 
 
The next time I have Taxotere, they will be sending me home with some shots to give myself.  The drug they are talking about is Neupogen, which is to support or elevate the white blood cell count.  They tell me it has to start the day after chemo or it doesn't do any good.  My oncologist and I had discussed starting it with my last chemo, but we decided to watch and see, instead.  So, now we know, and I will be able to add another skill to my resume.  Nothing that diabetics don't do all the time.  I think I will be "shooting" myself in the belly.  Lots of subcutaneous fat, and places that don't have much feeling from my reconstructive surgery in 2001.  For those of you who may have missed that adventure, I had a "TRAM flap" reconstruction of the breast when I had my mastectomy.  This is why I was laid up for four or five weeks and had four surgical drains when I came home.
 
I should be okay for the Race for the Cure, as my white count should be bouncing back by then.  Thank you to all of you who have supported us in many and various ways, including moral support.  Please pray that my feet are in good shape on Saturday.  I saw a podiatrist on Wednesday, mostly for an evaluation.  I have sufficient sensation in my feet, and the toenail is not ready to be taken off.  I should just wrap it with tape and go on my merry way.
 
Get your mammograms.  Do your self-exams.
 
Love,
 
Ruth
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home