Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ruth Update, June 11, 2008

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,
 
I thought I had gotten away with it.  I felt really well, considering I had walked three miles in DC heat, but I found out the next day that the piper must be paid.
 
You know I have been having trouble with my feet and toenails.  One of my big toenails was about to fall off, so I wrapped it with gauze and tape so it wouldn't rip off during the walk.  The other big toe was showing some signs of trouble, but I didn't worry so much about it.  I should have.  The next day, it hurt like the dickens when touched.  On Monday I called my new friend, the podiatrist, and found that he had had a cancellation on Tuesday.  In the meantime, I iced it once in a while with a bag of frozen peas, and tried not to wear shoes.  I kept my socks on, of course.  I took Matt with me to my appointment, just in case I would not be able to drive afterwards.
 
The podiatrist said both big toenails need to come off, but, since I was STILL neutropenic, he consulted with my oncologist on the phone.  They apparently agreed that I shouldn't have the toenails taken off while I have a compromised immune system, so I went home with a sore toe and a prescription of antibiotics, with instructions to see him again when I have some white blood cells.  Since he is right across the hall from my oncology clinic, I should be able to do that.  He said I could be a phantom patient.  I am also to soak in Epsom salt solution.
 
I will do you all a favor and not post photos of my toe.  I will not even describe it.  Suffice it to say it is very sore to the touch and quite spectacular-looking.  I will try to post some photos of the Race for the Cure on my blog.  Matt installed a wireless router in our house yesterday, and we are still getting used to it.
 
Please pray for my toe and that I will be protected from infection.
 
Get your mammograms.  Do your self-exams.
 
Love,
 
Ruth
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home