Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Ruth Update, June 1, 2008

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,
 
I had chemo last Tuesday, and I am feeling pretty well at this point.  My doctor lowered my dose of Xeloda for now, after that scary episode with no white cells.  I go in again on Tuesday to get the Aredia bone-strengthening IV, and will have my blood counts checked at that time.  I don't expect too much to be wrong.
 
To be honest, I had a bit of depression this time around.  The medications that fight cancer are poisons, and one does get tired of being poisoned.  I don't think my family and friends would be too happy with me if I gave up at this point, and, once I started feeling better, the depression lifted.  I appreciate all your support, and I know that Paul, Matt, and Timmy appreciate it, too. 
 
I will have one more treatment of Taxotere, and then will go to Xeloda, the oral drug, alone for a while.  Somebody asked me why we would stop using a drug that is working, as evident by my last PET scan, and my lower cancer markers on my last blood test.  See above.  It is a poison, and I am feeling the effects.  Sometimes it is difficult to button my shirt from the peripheral neuropathy, and I hope that will clear up once I get off the Taxotere.  Also, my oncologist said it is time to stop.  The timing is good, too, as we do hope to take a trip this summer.  More about that later as we firm up the plans.
 
Saturday is the Race for the Cure.  Our team has reached its funding goal, though it is never too late to contribute!  I am just hoping that I don't get foot problems before setting out.  I am seeing a podiatrist on Wednesday, and I suppose a final decision will be made then.  I plan to attend the event even if I can't walk.  I am looking forward to it.  Thank you all for your support in this venture, especially to my buddy Belinda for getting it all together!
 
Just a reminder, be sure to change our email address to the one in "from" above.
 
Get your mammograms.  Do your self-exams.
 
Love,
 
Ruth
 
 

1 Comments:

  • At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is bizarre, isn't it? There really are no benign treatment options at this point. I'll be praying for oyu, especially in those dark moments of fear that thankfully, never seem to last too long.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home