Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Ruth Update, May 13, 2008

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,
 
I'm doing okay.
 
Now that I have that over with, here is the big news:  my baby is a working actor!  To get his whole story, see my blog and the video I have embedded there:  http://ruthsmusings.blogspot.com  Or you can go to Matt's video directly from this link.
 
Through the Grace of God, which some people might call luck, my son got a role in a professional play here in the DC area.  It is the Washington Shakespeare Company  (that link has not worked all day, but we are pretty sure it is the correct link).   Matt's YouTube video gives you all the dates of the production, the name of the play and all that.  He assures me that the play is hilarious, but when pressed as to whether it is rated PG-13 or R, he hemms and haws.  So, let's say it is R-rated, especially one scene, which Matthew is not in.  So, if you are in the DC area this summer, late June through most of July, please go see my baby.  He has actual lines!  Okay, they were desperate for an actor as they had already started rehearsals.  I guess Woody Allen said that "90% of life is just showing up."  Well, Matt showed up.  He replied to an e-mail and got a phone call from the company in about five minutes.  We were both astounded.  He is talking calmly on his cell phone while gesturing wildly to me that this was the guy he had just e-mailed.  I ran to get paper and pencil for him.  I am trying not to be the stage mother from hell, here, but, boy, am I proud.
 
Of course, I can't just be proud.  I have to point out that actors are supposed to pay dues.  They are supposed to wait tables, flip burgers, and maybe clean up after sick dogs.  But no, not my son.  He gets his very first summer job as an ACTOR, with actual LINES, and an actual NAME (rather than "first assistant spear carrier" or something).  It's hardly fair.  He does plan to get a "day job," too.  I hope he finds one close to home, as we are going to be paying big bucks in Metro fares and gas.
 
I are so proud.  Oh, I mentioned that already.
 
Get your mammograms.  Do your self-exams.
 
Ruth
 
 

2 Comments:

  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger CraftyGryphon said…

    That's super news! Congrats to Matt!

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    You have every right to be proud!
    The whole thing made me smile
    Matt, "break a leg!"
    Ruth, be well and enjoy your summer.
    God"s Blessings,
    Sarah Z in MI

     

Post a Comment

<< Home