Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Ruth Update, April 29, 2008

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,
 
I spent today home.  Last week, Paul stayed home one day with a cold, and I think I got it from him.  As colds go, it is not too bad, but considering the rest of my health, we voted for discretion being the better part of being a stubborn idiot.  I only have a little bit of congestion, and have a little cough, but I was very tired, and actually slept for a few hours this morning.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow.  The oncology advice nurse advised me to call my primary care doc if things got worse.  I was so tired yesterday, that I got to work an hour and a half late.  I stayed late for the same amount of time, and then came home and went back to bed.  I was blaming my sleep medications until I started running a little fever and coughing.  I am okay.  I am starting the phase in my chemo cycle where I actually have an immune system, so we should be glad I got it now.
 
The trip to Radford was fine, except for a little adventure.  Ever passed an 18-wheeler when one of its tires exploded?  That was exciting.  Thank God, we were about even with the cab, and the tire that blew, while on our side, was quite a ways behind us.  Rubber was flying, and I hope the people in the cars just behind us were okay.  I imagine that could do some serious damage to a car.  The truck slowed down and took the next exit.  This is why the wheels come in pairs.  I called my cousin the truck driver to tell him about it, and he said that recaps often blow at this time of year, and if it had been one of the steering or drive wheels, he would have had to stop.  It is usually safer to get to a repair facility than to pull over and get in everyone's way.  This is easier to do on I-81 in Virginia, with many truck stops, than out in the middle of, say, South Dakota.  Anyway, an exciting story to tell.
 
Matt was great in his two one-act plays.   These were productions of the "Directing 2" class, and the parents of one of the directors stayed at the same Super 8 we stayed in.  We were all very proud.  I was especially glad that Matt really didn't like the smoking part of his role.  He didn't inhale.  The name of the evening was "The Seven Deadly Sins: An Evening of Humans Behaving Badly."  I sat down and made a list, and yes, they pretty much covered all of them.  Lechery and wrath were especially well-represented.
 
On Sunday, after Tony and I got back to the DC area, we went to one of his favorite malls.  He didn't get what he came for, but did find some other stuff.  It is kind of embarrassing that he knows that mall better than I do.  They have a Nordstrom's, and I also did some shopping.  I needed some new black dress shoes, and found a nice pair.  I wear a size 12, and can usually find what I need at Nordstrom's, which started as a shoe store in the Pacific Northwest, and still has a wide selection of sizes.  If they don't have it, I have to resort to mail order.
 
After the mall, we went to Whole Foods to get some more Tea Tree Oil and some lotion with it as an ingredient.  Another thing I found was "Lilac Water."  I got all excited, but am a bit disappointed as the scent doesn't last very long.  I was also amused by the list of ingredients:  "Contains:  Vor-Mag Water (water that has been vortexed and magnetized to raise the energy to a higher vibration that we believe to be more beneficial) and Lilac Fragrance."  The water is Vortexed!  And Magnetized!  I wonder how they do that.
 
Paul plans to drive to Radford on Thursday after work, pick up Matt and all of his belongings (I brought boxes last weekend), and then turn around and drive back, hoping to go to work on Friday.  I think I will buy them a couple of four-packs of Red Bull, and pray a lot.  I wish they could do it differently, as it is about 250 miles one way.  Please pray for them.
 
Love,
 
Ruth
 

1 Comments:

  • At 2:00 PM, Blogger Matt said…

    but water is a polar molecule, so in some form isn't it already magnetized? I've never had red bull. not sure I want too. though compared with the other energy drinks out there (like the ones with medical warnings) it's probably fairly safe.

    which mall was it? personally, I'd assume that it was Tyson's corner but you didn't say.

    Matt

     

Post a Comment

<< Home