Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Monday, April 14, 2008

Ruth Update, April 14, 2008

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,
 
First, thanks to those of you who have gotten the ball rolling for "my" team for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.  We are off to a good start.
 
I had a pretty good weekend.  Matt's girlfriend, Katherine, and I visited him at Radford.  He was running a spotlight for Pippin, neither of us had seen it, and she is a theater "techie," so we thought we would surprise him.  He knew I was coming, but was not expecting her!  It was a pleasant surprise for him.  We think.  Or so he said, anyway!
 
It was a good thing Katherine was driving her car, as my feet hurt.  On Thursday evening, on the little walk I often take with Paul, my feet started to hurt quite a bit.  I found a large blister on one of them, too.  I called the oncology advice nurse, and she told me to call her back today.  If the problem persisted, they might have to delay my next treatment.  So, I kept my feet up as much as possible over the weekend.  Suffice it to say, at this point, my treatment is on schedule for tomorrow.  I was able to go on a walk with Paul last night with less pain, and the blister has deflated.  The foot pain is a not-unexpected side effect of one of the drugs I am getting.
 
I had my CT scan of the head and neck (on Thursday, not Tuesday as I mistakenly said in my last update), and hope to get the results tomorrow.  I must tell you that I have been feeling anxious about my cancer lately.  My neck has been bothering me to the point that I cannot always sing all the hymns on Sundays, and I have been feeling some mild pain where I think my liver is.  My bone pain is much less, though.  The last time I had my cancer blood marker checked, it had gone up, when we hope for it to go down.  My oncologist wants to see how it goes after this next treatment.  If it isn't going down, we may have to revisit my treatment plan.
 
Please pray for me, that my treatment will be successful in knocking the cancer out, and that I will feel less anxiety.
 
I may have jumped the gun on getting my head shaved.  I have stubble.  Dang.
 
Get your mammograms.  Do your self-exams.
 
Love,
 
Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home