Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Ruth Update, April 1, 2008

No foolin'!
 
Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,
 
Spring is bursting all over Northern Virginia, and today the sun actually came out, so I took some photos.  Please see the blog.  I don't want to clog up your inboxes.
 
I am doing pretty well considering I had chemotherapy (Taxotere) a week ago today.  I took Thursday and Friday off work, and spent Saturday at home alone.  Paul and Timmy were at a Scouting event involving shotguns and archery.  So, I called Matt and my brothers and inflicted myself upon them.  I rested a little, ate a little, took medicine, lay down, did a little laundry, drugged myself, called a brother to bother him, rested a little . . . you know, like that.  I got along okay and got a lot of Mom's Fostoria glass out of the newspapers, washed, and into the china cabinet.  Now I need to have Paul bring down another box.  Maybe it will have china in it.
 
I found out that the wig benefit of my insurance company is a once-in-a-lifetime deal.  Oh, well.  I had to check.  My present wig is in pretty good shape, but once we get our checks from Uncle Sam and the state, get hooked up with broadband, and pay off our credit cards, I will be seeing about getting a new head of hair.  Nice to have a little variety.  Until then, I have more of a Kojak look.  My bristles from the big haircut were shedding out, so I took Paul's Norelco to my scalp.  Now the bristles are much shorter.  I have velcro head, so my hats stay in place.   Also, I have "folliculitis."  It makes my scalp look like my face looked when I was a teen.  Oh, let's be honest, I still haven't outgrown my acne, and it would still be bugging me if all my treatments hadn't shut off most of my hormones.  My head is still not ready for prime time.  My family and support group have to suffer with it, though.
 
In speaking with the person at my HMO about the wig benefit, she asked how I was doing otherwise.  One of the things I said was if I have to have cancer, I am glad I have it with the support system I have.  My husband, the church where I work, the church where I worship, all my online friends, relatives, and prayer partners . . . without you all, I am sure I would not be able to handle this challenge.  I also attended my support group today, and that is a great blessing, too.
 
Thank you all.
 
Get your mammograms.  Do your self-exams.
 
Love,
 
Ruth

1 Comments:

  • At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great to see you at knitting last night!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home