Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

If You're Gonna Be One . . .

One thing I try to do when I see someone in military uniform is to say "thank you for serving." It doesn't always happen. Sometimes it just doesn't feel right.

Anyway, when traveling over the Christmas Holidays, there are a lot of people in uniform in the airports. At one point, I saw two young men in their battle dress uniforms going the opposite direction from us. I noticed their First Infantry Division patches, so I called to them: "If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One!" Their unison response was "Hoo Rah!" My family was much amused. And I called after them: "Thank you for serving!" I can only hope they heard that part.

Ruth
92nd MP Company, 709th MP Battalion, Fifth Army, Germany, 1976-79

3 Comments:

  • At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with thanking those who serve us.

     
  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger CraftyGryphon said…

    I'm sure they heard you, and smiled (at least on the inside)! My dad was with the 1st Infantry in 'Nam.

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I stop every soldier I see and thank him/her for keeping us safe. Their faces are priceless. Most are really touched.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home