Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Ruth Update, November 4, 2007

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,

Today, the bell choir added to the service at church. That bell piece I mentioned in my blog, that I had been doing for years and years? I screwed it up. I picked up my bells wrong on the hard part, and completely botched it. I knew before I started ringing, thank goodness, so I just kind of had to sit those measures out. Better to not ring than ring the wrong bells. I just could not find where I belonged. I am so mad. In case you have no idea what I am talking about, for those measures, I hold two bells in each hand in such a way that, depending upon how I hold my hands, they can ring separately. When you are used to ringing it a certain way, if you hold bells in the wrong hands, you can really screw it up. Good thing the organ was playing and the congregation was singing, so it didn't stick out too much. I may be the only person who noticed. Until now.

Anyway, I hope to redeem myself next Sunday. I will sing a solo during the offering at the 8:00 AM and 11:00 AM services at St. Paul's Lutheran Church, 7426 Idylwood Road, Falls Church, VA 22043. Y'all come!

I have put a link on my blog for self-exams for men and women. It is in the right side bar, right near the top of the page.

So . . .

Get your mammograms. Do your self-exams.

Ruth
http://ruthsmusings.blogspot.com/

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    During High School, I was in the band, and in the handbell choir that started at Church. I played the high F and G (the tiny ones). We played them around Christmas time for the church to show them what all their money paid for. We practiced and practiced and practiced "Joy to The World" for weeks on end. You would not believe how many people came up to us after the service with tears in their eyes telling us how beautiful it was and how happy they were to fund such beautiful music. "But what was the name of the song again?" we ended up telling people it was a German version of Joy to the World. ;)

    and remember me telling which bells I played. I was always so happy that it wasn't those big ones on the end that you had to use two hands to ring. Until we played one piece.....where I rang the G constantly (and I'm not exaggerating) for 2 pages. I had to use 2 hands by the end of it. And my ears were ringing for hours afterwards too.

    JJ

     
  • At 9:09 AM, Blogger Tricia said…

    I play the big bells in the bass clef (the big 'G', referenced above, is definitely the hardest one to play). I also play the A flat, A, B flat, B, C, C#, and D. Lots of crossing over! But it's fun. My hands are too little for the 2-per-hand tiny bells. ;)

    I also solo occasionally at my church, so I know how you feel. GOOD LUCK!! I wish I lived closer ... I'd come hear you. What will you be singing?

     
  • At 6:54 AM, Blogger datatech57 said…

    I will be singing "Fill My Cup, Lord."

    My cousin Jan is in town, and I asked the music director to come over to the house so we could run through the piece so Jan could hear it, as she is not going to be here next Sunday. All was going well until during the second verse of one run-through, I looked at Jan and burst into tears. I guess I cannot make eye contact with anybody on Sunday, or might embarass myself in front of the congregation.

    I'm pretty weepy these days.

    Ruth

     

Post a Comment

<< Home