Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Monday, November 26, 2007

Ruth Update, November 26, 2007

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,

It has been a while since I sent an update, though I have posted a few things at the blog. Mainly, I have had no news on the cancer front. I feel weirdly well, actually. It is a bit disconcerting to know that I have an incurable, fatal disease, and I feel pretty well. Aches and pains, of course, but I am an out-of-shape fifty-year-old woman. I think my brothers actually have more aches and pains than I do. On November 17th, I walked three miles with a "help the homeless" walk-a-thon, and lived to tell the tale. I even baked pizza that evening! Paul and I did not keep up with our party, but it was mostly the youth group from our church, led by our athletic pastors. They waited for us at the end. At the start, I got to shake hands with Mayor Adrian Fenty of DC. I thought that was pretty cool. I want to know where he got those soft leather gloves! This evening, NPR's "All Things Considered" ran a piece on John and Elizabeth Edwards, and she spoke of how she feels pretty well most of the time. They also mentioned that women in her situation rarely survive past ten years. She and I are paddling the same boat. I do not know the extent of her mets, but I believe she had some organ involvement that I did not have at my last scan.

I got another one of those survey calls from my HMO. To the "how would you rate your health compared to other people your age," I actually asked the poor guy how a person with incurable cancer was supposed to answer that? I chose "fair." How can my health be "poor" when I am still going to work thirty hours a week, and baking bread and pizza?

In response to my last update, a friend of mine wrote: "Ruth, At least you have Paul to go through it with you everyday. Everyday thank God that Paul is at your side and that you have his good and steady love with you every day, you know? Don't take it for granted. OK?" My reply to that was: "I have been thanking God for Paul for years. He and his family are the best thing that ever happened to me, and I know I am unusually blessed." And it is the truth.

Get your mammograms. Do your self-exams.

Love,

Ruth
http://ruthsmusings.blogspot.com/

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home