Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Monday, October 15, 2007

Ruth Update, October 15, 2007

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,

It is amazing how little life changes when you find out that you have incurable cancer. I go to work, I go to the grocery store, I sleep in my own bed, and do laundry. I worry about Timmy's school work. I think about what I will crochet next. I even ordered some yarn! As if I didn't have enough stash.

At the same time, I have learned a little about what is really going on, here. According to most expectations, I have several years left, and most of them will be pretty good. One person even promised me that I would see Timmy graduate from high school. He is in seventh grade. She did not, however, promise that I would play with my grandchildren. I hadn't told her about my college freshman son, though. No, Matt, no rush! I am much more concerned about your happiness in this matter than I am concerned about playing with babies. I should have plenty of time to knit and crochet things for those grandchildren, though. There will be a hug in every stitch.

Another point is that there are advancements made in cancer treatment all the time. The drug that can keep me alive indefinitely could be available any time. The drugs that cure cancer could be out there, and we just don't know it!

There are many kinds of miracles. Just look at HIV-AIDS. Those who are lucky enough to have quality health care can live healthy lives for years, as long as they take their medicines. The vast majority of people with HIV, though, will never see those drugs. The same with cancer. I am alive today because I have good health care. People who don't have access to that health care die, and sometimes people don't even know what has killed them. I just heard today that the Indian Health Service often doesn't treat cancer. Some service.

Okay, I will get down off of the soapbox that I am not qualified to stand upon.

I just had my first Aredia today. Assuming that I don't have a bad reaction, my next infusion of it will be on November 12th. I will also get the Faslodex shot at the same time. I am supposed to get lab work done so that it is available on the day that I have the infusions. They need to watch my kidney function with the Aredia.

I plan to attend a support group tomorrow evening.

You haven't seen the last of me!

Please pray for whatever miracle we can get. Please also support medical research however you can.

Get your mammograms. Do your self-exams.

Ruth
http://ruthsmusings.blogspot.com

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love your Oct. 15 musings, Ruth. Looking foward to seeing you in person, but don't try to teach me any yarn tricks. I'm not very teachable.
    Jan

     
  • At 7:23 AM, Blogger Lori said…

    Just wanted to tell you my prayers are going out for you. I'm going for a mamogram tomorrow (lst in 3 years...bad me I know). Im a little nervous. Your blog is very inspirational. I'm in the Christian Knitters Club online. I'm silent but read every post...and send prayers when I can. HUGS to you....Lori

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger writteninthemargins said…

    Hugs
    -Michele

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just wanted to say you're in my prayers and thoughts. I love ya bunches! :)

    I must admit everytime I feel bad I think of you. You are so inspirational for me!

    JJ

     

Post a Comment

<< Home