Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend

Our weekend was pretty quiet. We didn't go to New York, but Matt went to the Cappies Gala on Sunday. Since he was not personally nominated, we decided not to attend. It helped that he got a free ticket as a member of the board of the school's theatre troupe. Since we only have one car at the moment, as the other is getting a new engine, I drove him to the Metro. This is the first time he went on the Metro by himself, but he had no problem. I had gone with him on that route before, so it wasn't new to him. He is 18, after all! Graduating on June 13th. Also, our "Hamlet" got the Cappie for best lead actor in a play.

After I took Matt to the Metro, I took my shopping list to Wegman's. Of course, I got some additional stuff while there. I believe this is the first time my grocery cart went over $200. And I even skipped the fancy part of the store! I did, however, buy some fresh cherries and a cherry "stoner," which I would call a pitter. Matt is picturing little whacked out cherries. "Man, I am soooo stoned!"The main reason I bought the cherry stoner was to make a clafouti from a recipe I got on another list in 2002. (Recipe follows) Okay, so it takes me a while to get things done. I made the clafouti while getting dinner ready on Monday. We grilled some hamburgers. I put Matt in charge of the fire, and he was surprised. "When did I get assigned this job?" Mom: "About five minutes ago." They came out a little under done, but what the heck (please don't give me a food safety lecture). Back to the clafouti, I loved it! I could have eaten the whole thing! Paul, however, doesn't like cherries. Matt doesn't like custard. Timmy doesn't like either one. Sigh. And the recipe is so easy! So I took the rest of it to work with me this morning. The preschool ladies loved it! Pastor Andy is allergic to cherries and most other fruit. Dang. I will try it with other fruit or berries in the future. I did, however, get to eat Timmy's and Pastor Andy's pieces, so it was not a total loss

Then, this morning, I woke up a bit earlier than I usually do. Paul was taking his shower, so I had to use the potty downstairs. Now, when I wake up in the morning, I am a bit stiff. I know this, so I don't usually go downstairs until I have had my shower and moved around a bit. Couldn't do that this morning. I took the stairs carefully -- clung to the hand rail, took the stairs like a toddler, with each foot landing on each step. I still managed to slip and bounce down several stairs on my bum, crying "Ow, Ow, Ow!" on the way down. I was really impressed at the speed at which the shower was turned off and the door slammed open. I am amazed that Paul managed to get a towel on! Bless his heart. I am fine. The stairs are carpeted and my bum is well-padded. I am stiff and sore, though. Have a bruise on my heel (see Genesis 3:15), and I shudder to think what my bum looks like. Can't even blame the cats.The week has to get better, right?

Ruth

Here is the recipe I promised. The notes are from the person who originally posted it to the other list.

The recipe I'm using now is from Joy of Cooking (the new one). I did a blind tasting; made one from this recipe, and a second one from the recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking. We all liked this recipe better.

Almost Classic Cherry Clafouti

This custard-like dessert comes from the Limousin region of France. Classically made with unstoned black cherries on the theory that the cherry pits add flavor to the cake, this version is called "almost classic" because you have the option of using pitted cherries, a blessing to the unsuspecting. The mixture for a clafouti resembles a thick pancake or crepe batter and for this reason, according to Larousse Gastronomique, the Academie Francaise defined the clafouti as a "sort of fruit flan." Under protests from the residents of Limousin, the definition was changed to a "cake with black cherries" even though other types of cherries and even other fruits are used.

Preheat the oven to 375. Butter a 10-inch deep-dish pie pan.

Beat until frothy, about two minutes:
..4 large eggs
..3/4 cup sugar

Add and beat until smooth:
..1 cup milk (I tried both whole and skim and tasted no difference)
..1 Tablespoon Myers's Dark Rum (Ruth used Bacardi)
..2 teaspoons vanilla

Stir in :
..3/4 cup all purpose flour
..Pinch of salt

Distribute over the bottom of the pie pan:
..1 pound sweet cherries, pitted or not (frozen cherries, thawed and patted dry, or canned cherries, drained and dried, can be used)

Pour the batter over the cherries and place the pie pan on a baking sheet. (note; I don't do this, but I have a deep pie pan.) Bake the clafouti for 10 minutes; reduce the oven temperature to 350 and bake until the top has puffed (it will sink on cooling) and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about thirty-five minutes more. (I just look at how high it's risen, and short of shake it to see if the center looks set. I have never had it cook as quickly as 45 minutes; it is usually almost an hour.)

Transfer to a rack and cool for about 20 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar. Serve in wedges.

Keeps well in the fridge for several days. I microwave for about 15 seconds to take the chill off; it is supposed to be served warm but not hot.

YIELD: 1 pie - 6 to 8 servings
SOURCE: Joy of Cooking , 1997

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home