Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Adventures on Capitol Hill

Had an interesting evening. My cousin's daughter's brother-in-law was elected to the US congress from Nebraska. He was sworn in today. Paul and I were invited to a reception, but the invitation came kind of sideways. There is a "Nebraska Society" in the national capitol area, and I am on their mailing list. We RSVP'd, and Paul and I went. They had name tags for us and everything! I checked out the website for Adrian Smith, and found that I don't agree with several of his stances, but heck, he is family . . . almost. My cousin's daughter, Laura, was there with her husband and kids. Yes, she is my cousin, too, but I wanted you to be sure to know what the relationship was. I was surprised that Adrian recognized me, remembered that we had been in Africa, and said I looked like my Mom, who has been gone since 2002. Well, heck, he is a politician, after all. Had a nice chat with Laura, too! Also, there was food -- barbecue from somewhere. I had pulled pork on a bun. I was not too happy about the venue -- an office of the NRA. They didn't try to sell me a gun or anything. They also don't advertise themselves on the street. You have to know where you are going to get there. Hmmm, I wonder why? ;-)

Okay, so now I have been to a Capitol Hill party. Check that one off of the resume.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home