Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Monday, December 04, 2006

Ruth Update, December 4, 2006

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,

I have hair! Yes, indeed, real hair! I look like I have just entered basic training, though. Men's basic training, where they give you a buzz cut. My scalp is still visible, though, so I am still wearing my wig. Not for long, though. The hair that has come in is pretty slick, and my wig seems to slide around. I also get a little itchy. So, be prepared for me to show up in public places without the wig. I do still need hats, though. It has been quite cold here the last few days. Gee, it feels like December!

I also have eyebrows and lashes. This is very nice. The lashes are long enough to put mascara on, but not long enough to use an eyelash curler. Not that I do either of those very often. The brows look kind of funny, since the hair is so short. I will see about getting a picture one of these days. The last one I had Matt take was so awful that I don't want to share it. I believe I will delete it off the camera, and hope it hasn't been uploaded anywhere yet!

I am seeing my oncologist once a month now. The last time, I asked them to fax me the results of my blood chemistry test. My CA 27.29 test, the cancer marker, was "in range." It was 35 U/ml. The reference range is 0-37 U/ml. Hmmmm. On July 6, it was 24. On September 7, it was 27. I am not thrilled with this creeping up, but my oncologist does not seem to be concerned. If she had called me, I would be more worried. I know that if I call her, she will tell me to keep taking the Femara, and we will see what happens. My next appointment is the Wednesday before Christmas. Do I really want to see the results on the Friday when my brother arrives from Nebraska? Should I let them stew until after Christmas? I will probably have another PET scan early next year. I guess I should just let my hair grow. My point in all of this is that I feel fine. There was no sign of cancer on the last PET scan, but please keep praying! Thanks.

I have added a "Bloglines" button to my blog. If I understand it correctly, you should be able to sign up to get messages when I update my blog. I have signed up to get messages when some of my favorite blogs update, but I am still learning how to use this service. If you know how to use it, please let me know, and post it as a comment to my blog:
http://ruthsmusings.blogspot.com That way, everybody else can learn to use it along with me! My plan is, eventually, to stop sending out these updates via e-mail, and just use the blog. I hope that there will be less cancer news, which is what I created this list for. The blog might include knitting and crochet projects, random rants, and recipes. This way, only people who want to read that stuff will get it. I won't bother the rest of you, who may be getting sick of me by now!

Take care. Check the blog. Get your mammograms. Do your self-exams.

Love,

Ruth

1 Comments:

  • At 6:02 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I do hope the numbers aren't creeping up!!

    Hugs!

    Just got my baseline Mammo & ultrasound a couple weeks ago.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home