Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Recipes that changed my pantry -- Barley

This is the recipe that made barley a staple in my kitchen.
It is from the "More-With-Less Cookbook," a Mennonite publication from Herald Press. If you don't have the book, get it. Don't argue with me. You can get it at or through your local Christian bookstore. You can also order it from Amazon.com. I usually give this cookbook as a wedding present. Great for people just starting out.

This recipe has the added attraction of being vegetarian, and even vegan if you use margarine.
My notes are in parenthesis.

Lentil-Barley Stew

Serves 6

Saute in large pan:
1/4 c. margarine (I use butter)
3/4 c. chopped celery
3/4 c. chopped onion
(I add a garlic clove, chopped, crushed, pressed, whatever)

Add:
6 c. water
3/4 c. lentils

Cook 20 minutes. Add:
1 qt. tomatoes, canned
3/4 c. barley or brown rice
2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/2 t. rosemary (one sprig fresh, if you have it)
1/2 t. garlic salt (I omit this in favor of the fresh garlic)

Simmer 45-60 minutes. Add:
1/2 c. shredded carrots
Cook 5 minutes and serve. (remove the rosemary stem)

Option (for you carnivores. I have never tried it this way):
Brown 3/4 lb. boneless pork shoulder, diced, then add celery and onion and saute until golden, omitting margarine. Proceed with recipe as given.

(I make this a lot for my family, and I usually add extra barley or rice and water to make the protein more complete.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home