Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Monday, October 16, 2006

Ruth Update # 29 (or whatever. I seem to have messed up the numbering)

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer partners,

Some people have been asking for an update. It has been two weeks, after all. I guess I just didn't have any news. I did have my PET scan on Saturday morning. I had to be there at 8:00 AM, which is a bummer for somebody who likes to sleep in on Saturday.

It was worth it.

I called my oncologist's office today to make sure that they got the results of the scan before my doctor was out for the rest of the week. They got the results and she called. The PET scan was perfectly normal. Just to be sure, I asked "No sign of cancer?" No sign of cancer. I feel pretty good today! I will next see her next week, the day before my birthday, and I will be getting a prescription for Femara, which I will be taking for five years as a preventative measure. I will keep seeing the oncologist on a regular basis for tests and to flush my medi-port. I think I'll keep this one for a while.

Thank you all for your prayers and other words and forms of support. As I have said in my blog, one of the good things about chemotherapy is finding out how many people really care about me. Thanks.

In other news, Paul is in Chicago and won't be back until tomorrow. He didn't take the cell phone, and didn't leave me a contact number. So, he will be the last one to get the good news. Ah, well. He had a busy weekend. He and Timmy went caving with the Scouts and didn't get back until after 10 pm. Then he had to catch the 6 am bus to get to the airport. Since taking the cell phone is not one of his usual things to do, it is no big surprise that he forgot it. Also, we didn't expect to get the results from this PET scan until next week.

Last week, Paul, Timmy, and I went fishing with the Scouts on Columbus Day. We took a charter fishing boat to the Chesapeake Bay. If I had known I was going to be standing up all day, I might not have gone. I did in fact sit quite a bit, but I caught a nice striped bass, also known as a rockfish. I also hooked another one, but let one of the Scouts who had not yet caught one reel it in. Then there were the several that got away. I know they were there. Really. They are large fish. Our boat caught our limit of striped bass. We also caught some bluefish, two oysters and two seagulls. We threw back the oysters and the seagulls. The birds try to steal your bait, and sometimes get the hook, too. Paul caught several fish, and so did Timmy. His first one was actually hooked by the Scoutmaster, but he gave his rod to Timmy to reel it in. It so happens that I gave my rod to the Scoutmaster's son, so I guess we are even. I believe everybody on the boat caught something. The other mom on the boat lost track of how many fish she caught. What a terrible problem to have! Timmy didn't want to participate in the filleting part of the outing, so he won't get the merit badge this time. Ah, well. Can't force a boy to wield a sharp knife, can you? We have some nice fillets in the freezer. Paul cooked some up while I was assuming a horizontal position. Standing all day, followed by sitting in a car with little leg room can be wearing on me. Matt gave me a nice foot rub, though. Paul gave me one, too! I am slowly getting these guys trained!

I am baking my first batch of bread since my diagnosis. It is rising as I type. I have promised the boys a trip to Wendy's when Timmy gets his math homework done.

Life is good. Praise the Lord!

Get your mammograms. Do your self-exams.

Love,

Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home