Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Ruth Update #24

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,

I have now been home from the hospital for about a week, and am almost back to whatever passes for normal these days. I missed a total of three days of work and spent two nights in the hospital, not including my adventure in the ER.

My oncologist says they have been using that medication, on adults of all ages, including the elderly, for five years, and nobody has even blinked before. I am the first one to have such a reaction. The Zometa website talks about "flu-like" symptoms as a possible side effect. Well, it was a very bad case of "flu-like." The reason I was hospitalized was that the fever was so high my doctors feared I might have some kind of infection. All tests for infection came back negative. I am still feeling a little "off," but am doing much better. I hope to work a normal week.

Thank you for all your prayers and good thoughts. Paul was a rock through all this. After I was safely in the hospital, I sent him home to the boys, who needed him more than I did at that point. He told me he slept for twelve straight hours that night. I am sure he needed it. His birthday was Friday, and we went to the theater. The closest he got to a birthday cake was a scone and coffee at the Shakespeare Theater before the performance of "An Enemy of the People."

To tie up some loose ends -- my friend Belinda who had a mastectomy was scheduled to start chemotherapy. A test they ran showed that her chances of risky side effects from chemo were greater than her chances of a recurrence of cancer, so she didn't start. I am so glad for her! She found her cancer via self-exam. My son's classmate's mom has started chemo. The last I spoke with her she was doing well.

A few weekends ago we went to see "Cars" from Disney/Pixar. This is the first movie in a long time that I believe we must own, and am seriously considering buying the soundtrack. Of course, the song "Route 66" is a big part of the soundtrack, and as a Nat King Cole fan, I like it lots anyway. Even Paul enjoyed the movie. It helped that "Click and Clack" had parts, of course!

I haven't done any extra blogging lately, beyond posting these updates. I may get more into that. Lately, I have been coming home and collapsing for the evening, so haven't spent much time at home on the computer.

I have one more scheduled chemo treatment. I will not be taking Zometa!

Get your mammograms. Do your self exams.

Love,

Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home