Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Monday, September 04, 2006

Ruth Update #22
September 4, 2006


Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,

Labor Day, the day we honor all who work by taking a day off. I am doing laundry, if that counts for anything!

Of course, the big news in our house is that school starts tomorrow. I think Matt is looking forward to senior year, and he has already been working with the board of the Lake Braddock Theater to determine the plays they will do this year. He won't tell me what they are! Though he did leave a binder out and I snooped. He would shoot me dead if I told you what I know, though. Actually, he would probably beat me with his new stilts. Paul promised him some stilts at Christmas, and has been working on them since. There is a lot of carpentry and hand sewing involved, and he finished them on Saturday! I will post pictures on the blog. Suffice it to say that I now have hand prints on the ceiling. He does pretty well, and we encourage him to wear protective gear when using them outside.

Timmy has some big news, too. He will be taking "compacted math" this year. Last year, at the end of fifth grade, he took the end-of-book sixth grade math tests, and did very well. That, along with recommendation from his teacher, who had him in both fourth and fifth grade, led him to be invited to take this class. In it, he will be taking sixth-, seventh-, and eighth-grade math. Assuming he completes the class successfully, he will then get on an honors/advanced math track in middle and high school. It took a little convincing to get him to agree to this class, as he hates to do homework, but he agreed. It might have something to do with my telling him that at least one of his good friends will be in the class. Please pray for him. This is a great opportunity, and I hope we can help him through the challenge.

I have no news on the cancer front for me. I have been feeling pretty well, though my hip aches a bit sometimes. I am willing to admit that some of it might be psychosomatic, but some of it is real pain, too.

The mother of that friend of Timmy's, who will be in compacted math with him, was diagnosed with cancer over the summer. Aside from it being a rare type, I don't know what it is, exactly. I know she had abdominal surgery and will start chemotherapy soon. She has some kind of genetic predisposition to cancer, so they were looking out for it.

My friend Belinda, who had a mastectomy, reported to begin chemotherapy and found out she didn't need it after all! It seems that she had another test done that showed the risk of chemotherapy was greater than the risk that her cancer would recur. She is glad, though she now has a wig she doesn't really need.

I have chemotherapy again on Thursday, and will also be seeing my oncologist that day. The chemo is administered in the oncologist's office, so it is very convenient.

I appreciate your continued prayers.

Get your mammograms. Do your self-exams.

Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home