Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Recipe: Braised Short Ribs

I belong to a cooking group on the web, and figured since I was posting the recipe there, I would post it here, too! Enjoy.

The thing about buying beef in bulk is you sometimes get cuts that you wouldn't normally use. I don't believe I had ever cooked short ribs before, and Paul had gotten them out to thaw. I looked at fixing them for dinner last night, but every recipe called for long cooking, and it was already after six. So, we had macaroni and cheese with ham. I actually did make a white sauce for the cheese this time, as we were short on Velveeta.

Anyway, since the boys were leaving this afternoon for a Scout fishing trip on the Chesapeake, last night I decided to check for a crockpot recipe and we could have it for lunch before they left. The cookbook fell open to this page, so I figured that was a sign.

Braised Short Ribs

3 to 4 lb. lean beef short ribs (I suspect I had less, and they weren't very lean)
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 medium onions, sliced and separated into rings
1 clove garlic, chopped (optional) (since when is garlic optional?)
1 cup beer, beef broth or water (I used beer)
2 tablespoons flour (optional)
3 tablespoons water (optional)

Place short ribs on broiler rack or in skillet and brown to remove fat; drain well. Combine 1/2 cup flour with the paprika, salt and dry mustard; toss with short ribs. Place remaining ingredients except 2 tablespoons flour and the water in crockpot; stir to mix beef ribs with onion rings (be sure onions are under beef ribs -- not on top). Cover and cook on low setting for 8 to 12 hours.

Remove short ribs to warm serving platter. If thickened gravy is desired, make a smooth paste of flour and water. Turn Crock-Pot to High setting and stir in paste. Cover and cook until gravy is thickened.

6 servings (about 3 quarts)

From "Rival Crock-Pot Cooking," Golden Press, Western Publishing Company, Inc. Racine, Wisconsin. Copyright 1975

Notes from Ruth: I didn't need to thicken the gravy as I had plenty of the flour/paprika mix to begin with and I used it all, even though I am pretty sure I didn't have 3-4 lbs of ribs. It cooked all night, longer than 12 hours, and was fine. I served it with rice, leftover veggies, and banana bread that Paul baked this morning from a mix. Matt and Paul liked it, Timmy, my picky one, hated it. Paul did suggest I not use beer next time. That could have been what Timmy didn't like. He doesn't like mustard, either.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home