Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Ruth Update #7

April 2, 2006

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,

I don't have much of a pain in the neck anymore. The mediport implantation was surprisingly pain-free. Not like the one I had last time.

The mediport worked very well, too. I started chemotherapy on Thursday, and it went very smoothly.

Friday, I felt petty well, though I could tell something had happened the day before . . . just a bit off.

Saturday, it hit me. This type of drug (brand name Abraxane) gives bone pain. I am still trying to find the right combination of anti-nausea and pain drugs, both of which cause, er, lower intestinal blockage. This means eating lots of prunes and taking other medications.

Saturday evening, of course, we were disappointed by GMU's loss. But hey, they made it to the final four! Maybe next year we will go see some games in person!

This morning I went to church. One of my friends asked me what I was doing there. I said something about not letting it beat me, and then skipped out before the sermon and crashed on the sofa. I may well skip church the next Sunday after chemo. Everybody understands. It is not beating me, it is helping me beat the cancer.

Now, if you will excuse me, I think I will take some Percocet and eat some prunes.

Get your mammograms. Do your self-exams.

Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home