Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Ruth Update #5.2

March 22, 2006

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,

My surgery didn't happen today. About 30 minutes before we were to leave, the surgeon called and cancelled the procedure. He just felt it wasn't safe to do since I have scar tissue in the areas where the medi-port was to be implanted. He listed all the things that could go wrong, but you don't want to know.

Anyway, a different procedure has been scheduled for next Wednesday, March 29th, to be done at the local hospital by a radiologist. I will still have a medi-port, but it will be into a different vein. The jugular. I knew you would say "ewwww!" I can hear you from here. Hey, the other one was in my superior vena cava, which is just as big! My oncologist gave her approval, but I know this is not her first choice, either. Hey, it's better than waking up in the ICU.

Probably your prayers for my safety affected the surgeon's decision. He expressed doubt about the procedure the first day I saw him, and after looking at my x-ray and discussing my case with other surgeons, he called it off.

Thanks for your prayers and good thoughts.

Get your mammograms. Do your self exams.

Love,

Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home