Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Ruth Update #18

July 30, 2006

Dear Friends, relatives, and prayer partners,

I have had my last scheduled chemotherapy treatment! Wahooo! Next, I will have a PET scan to see if there is any more sign of cancer. Then, the plan is to go on Femara, to replace the Tamoxifen I was taking before. I believe I will be on that for five years. After that, we will see.

Of course, if the PET scan finds anything, we may well be going down a different path. Please pray that all the cancer is gone, gone, gone!

Last night I was taking a walk with Paul, as we usually do before bedtime, when I stepped off a curb wrong, twisted my ankle and skinned my knee. I tried to walk home, but ended up sending Paul back for the car. I was hyperventilating for no good reason. Anyway, I got calmed down a bit, got home, up the stairs and cleaned up. A nasty scrape, but I put antibiotic ointment on it, so I have high hopes. The ankle is a bit sore, but not too bad. I don't believe it is sprained. I had a funny limp with a sore left ankle and right knee! I am not used to having a skinned knee. I'm 48 for goodness sake! (I'm also a poet and don't know it!)

Paul had brought home the first four ears of corn from the garden, and that is what we had for a bedtime snack after the tumble off the curb. Paul cut Timmy's corn off the ear, as he has braces, but the rest of us got to munch it from the cob. Yummy!

The nicest thing happened to me this week. My high school class had its 30th reunion this summer in Scottsbluff. I was unable to make it, but I did send in some information for the reunion booklet, telling everybody what I had been up to in the last ten years. Well, this week I got the nicest card from one of my classmates, somebody I knew, but can't say that we had been good friends. She just wanted to encourage me in the fight with cancer. One thing she told me was that she has a friend who had lung cancer and was given three months to live . . . ten years ago! As she said, miracles do happen! I have added Cathie to my list of angels sent by God for encouragement.

Thanks for your continued prayers and good wishes.

Get your mammograms. Do your self-exams.

Love,

Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home