Ruth's musings

I have been dealing with breast cancer for a while, and have been sharing my journey with friends, family, and prayer partners. This blog brings all my updates together in one place, and leaves me free to muse on other parts of my life. Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Ruth Update #14

Jund 3, 2006

Dear Friends, Relatives, and Prayer Partners,

It has been a couple of weeks since I sent an update. As they say, no news is good news!

I had my fourth treatment on Thursday, so today I am floating on a sea of percocet. Better to be stoned than in pain, I guess.

Paul went with me last week to buy a new dress for the Cappies Gala. It is blue, with a rather plain, floor-length, skirt, and a top with a jewel neck, short sleeves, and beads. The top is a bit heavy, so I am praying that the weather will not be overly hot, though that may be a vain prayer in this area. The usual forecast from June through September is "hazy, hot, and humid, with a chance of afternoon and evening thunderstorms." We have already gone over ninety degrees, though for the next few days the forecast is for highs in the seventies. I hope this lasts through the eleventh. The best thing about the dress is it was on sale. Good thing, too, as one cannot wash or dry clean it with the beads. Only spot cleaning. I figure I will only get three uses out of it, if I avoid eating! Got some new shoes, too. Pretty simple white pumps, which I needed anyway. They cost more than the dress! I expect to get more use out of them, anyway.

Good news on the cancer front, too. The cancer marker in my blood has gone down to the "normal" range. This is the marker that first alerted my oncologist to the possibility that I had a metastasis. She is also going to order some more scans, to make sure I don't have anything else hiding somewhere. Since she is going on vacation the third week in June, and we are going to the Virgin Islands the fourth week of June, I imagine the scans will take place either in July or August.

More good news, my fifth treatment will be delayed two weeks so I can enjoy the trip to the Virgin Islands! I am so looking forward to that. If I haven't mentioned it, this is a Scout trip. The boys and Paul will be sleeping in tents on the beach, and I will be sharing a cottage with the scoutmaster's wife and daughters. We may do some swapping around so Paul and I can have a night or two in the cottage. I think it only fair that the scoutmaster and his wife get that opportunity, too, if they want it.

Thanks for your continued prayers.

Get your mammograms. Do your self-exams.

Love,

Ruth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home